Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Where have you gone, Ted Koppel


Actually, he's been discovered. After leaving Nightline, he's found his way to the Discovery Channel to do documentaries, which I will never see because I don't have cable.

I miss Koppel. The new Nightline isn't awful, but not particularly good or interesting either. It has all the depth of a People magazine article on the Simpsons (Nick and Jessica).

Loved his comment on why he didn't even talk with the major cable news networks, which was because they seemed, "preoccupied with a 'desperate race to be the first with the obvious.'" Bet his daughter, Andrea, who is a CNN correspondent loved that one.

To do a little name dropping: Along with several other people, I had a late night meal with Koppel and Jerry Brown, who were speaking at the University of Missouri School of Journalism, where I got my degree. Long story about how that happened, but I remember two things from the evening. Jerry Brown was no longer dating Linda Ronstadt, but some wise guy played her song Someone to Lay Down Beside Me on the jukebox. Returned to the table and said, "Jerry, what's that song." He laughed.

The other was a kid coming up to Koppel and asking if he would speak with his mother, who was a big fan. He spent 10 to 15 minutes talking with her.

I only wish that Koppel and Jon Stewart would team up to do a show. How cool would that be. And then put it on network TV so that I could actually see it.






No comments: