Friday, December 30, 2005

Quotable Homer Simpson on Prayer

Like many others as they begin the New Year, I am resolving to improve my prayer life. I am starting with committing to the Divine Hours for two weeks for morning and evening. For lunch, I will read a devotional on the Rule of St. Benedict. (I know people generally don't make these kinds of commitments for just two weeks, but when you have an adhd brain, it can be....Hey look! there's a bird out the window!)

I also will turn to Homer Simpson a time or two for inspiration, shall we say. The Simpsons is my favorite TV show, and it always leaves me laughing, sometimes so hard that I'm crying. I love the satire, which also was used by Jesus (think parables, for instance).

Because the best comedy always is rooted in truth, I think it's good to take time to listen to the comedians. I know books and articles have been written about the Gospel and the Simpsons - even CT featured Ned Flanders on its cover - but its fun sometimes to get the information from the original source. I've included here some of Homer's quotes on prayer and some of his "prayer life." Later this week, I will feature the theological wisdom of Homer Simpson.

May we have ears to hear. After all, as Homer says, "...there's a little Homer Simpson in all of us."


HOMER IN and ON PRAYER

Dear God, just give me one channel.

Good drink ... good meat ... good God, let's eat!

Homer: God, if you really are God, you'll get me tickets to that game.
[doorbell rings]
Ned Flanders: Heidely-ho, neighbor. Wanna go to the game with me? I got two tick--
Homer: [slams the door, looks heavenward] Why do you mock me, O Lord?

Hey Flanders, it's no use praying. I already did the same thing, and we can't both win.

And Lord, we are especially thankful for nuclear power, the cleanest, safest energy source there is. Except for solar, which is just a pipe dream.

God : Thou hast forsaken My Church!
Homer : Uh, kind-of ... b-but ...
God : But what
Homer : I'm not a bad guy! I work hard, and I love my kids. So why should I spend half my Sunday hearing about how I'm going to Hell?
God : [pause] Hmm ... You've got a point there.

Lord help me, I'm just not that bright.

Dear God, give a bald guy a break.



No comments: